Monday 17 December 2007

The culinary tour of Europe - pt 2

I think it's fair to say that the food here in Budapest tops that in Beglam - good solid meaty fare. No sooner had I arrived than we found a quiet piano bar and tucked into duck and pear slices on toast, washed down by a couple of Dreher (local lagers). Last night's wild boar and blueberry stew, with gnocchi, was delish - probably the tastiest meal I've had since... well, the 'Rabbit Grandmother's Style', in Gent on Thurs after the lecture. The local beer's not as varied as in Beglam, obviously, but hey ho, you can't have everything, and the gluhwein is perfectly adequate for keeping the cold out.

Yesterday morning was spent in one of Bud's many thermal baths - just what you need after 17 hrs on a bus, although I did have a shower first, so as not to pollute the waters! The steam room, which was too hot to sit down in, was infused with peppermint, which made a pleasant change from the sulphorous smell in the rest of the baths, although you soon get used to it. Judge from many of the generous girths on display, the locals enjoy their cuisine too - power yoga boot camps don't seem to be popular out here. Can't say I'm surprised - all that stretching in the snow is only going to end in tears.

We then grabbed a goats cheese sarnie (I'm not sure Alun totally appreciates that pressie from Beglam, as it stinks out his fridge) and headed to the Caledonian Pub to watch the 2 top of the table EPL soccer games - shame about the L'pool result, although I did tip a Man U win. Can't say I'm overly confident about Wed's clash with Chelsea, even if it is in the Mickey Mouse Cup. Fingers crossed I can find a pub in Edinburgh showing Sassanak soccer...

No comments: