Thursday 1 November 2018

Review of Ode to Odin

Ode to OdinOde to Odin by Bruce McLaren

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Who doesn't love archaeology, travel to exotic destinations, comic misadventures, hissy fits and clashing egos? Bruce McLaren provides the reader with an effervescent, fly-on-the-wall insight into life on a dig in Karakalpakstan, part of the great Silk Routes. As in his previous books, McLaren skillfully weaves a narrative through the history and geography of the region, musings on life, an array of colourful characters and evocative descriptions. Many archaeological biographies and travelogues are as dry as the dirt they're set in, but not this book. Whether you agree with the author in his subtly evolving portrait of the eponymous dig director, Odin, this book will entertain, educate and challenge you in equal measure. But, most of all, it's great fun and easy to read.
Disclosure: Bruce is a longstanding friend and I've worked out in this part of the world on similar digs - in some ways, I think this makes me a more critical reader than most; I can honestly say he nails dig life out there to a T.



View all my reviews

No comments: