Thursday 3 January 2008

the last leg

Finally, after 13.25 hours on a train and bus from Sydders (you've gotta love track maintenance, which seems to proliferate on the rail networks of the world at this time of year), I'm back in Melbers, tired but quite refreshed after the trip. The epic journey had its amusing moments, as I was the 8th seat in a 'twizzled' set, 7backpackers having rearranged the seats on the train so they could face each other, much to the consternation of CountryLink staff who raised OH&S issues.

It was kind of like watching Big Brother on the Road (I should patent the concept, shouldn't I?!), but they were a pleasant, intelligent, almost innocent, bunch having a carefree time travelling around Oz before the expectations of society and/or financial pressures of being grown-up imposed. In true backpacker fashion, one of the Poms was so hungover, she spent most of the trip crawling to the loo or crashed out in the gap between the back-to-back seats - that suited the other 3 of us who had more leg-room!

It was great to catch up with friends in Sydney, and to see the NYE fireworks and the 1st Day of the NY test vs India. I reckon Symonds should pay me to watch him play, rather than the other way round, since he scored his debut century when I was at the MCG for the 06 Boxing Day test, and he scored his 2nd century this time round...

It's 35 degrees here, and the squeaking fan is doing my head in, so I think I'll head for the supermarket and buy some ice-cream!

No comments: